THE GREAT PUMPKIN (BEER) OFF FEATURING 22. SOUTHERN TIER BREWING CO. - WARLOCK

Ok, ok. I know I said I was only going to do one more of these, but I stumbled upon Warlock at Central City Tap House at lunch today, and I have a little extra time before work so why the hell not explore this beer a little bit.

Warlock is Southern Tier Brewing Co.'s Imperial Pumpkin Stout (8.6% abv).

Poured into a tulip in the dark bar, the beer is almost completely opaque but not for a touch of red/brown.

Aroma is a pleasant bouquet of roasted coffee, allspice and vanilla.

The taste is definitely like your bartender mixed your basic stout with Pumking. It's got the same pumpkin pie sweetness, spice and vanilla cream notes mixed with dark coffee, bitter chocolate and roasty malts. Touches of real pumpkin come in as this beer hits about room temperature.

It's actually a pretty dry finish on this guy, almost chalky. But in general, very thick and rich with a nice alcohol presence.

I really loved it. After Smashed Pumpkin, though, it's kind of hard to venture back into the world of very sweet pumpkin dessert beers, but I'll take it. Maybe not at lunch again, though that 8.6% started my day off on a good note!


This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 and is filed under ,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “THE GREAT PUMPKIN (BEER) OFF FEATURING 22. SOUTHERN TIER BREWING CO. - WARLOCK”

  1. I know you like graphic design and good beer, so this should appease both interests: Pipework Brewing Company in Chicago. They don't ship outside of Chi-town, but maybe keep it on the back burner for a future visit?

    ReplyDelete