06.Odell Brewing Co. - Cutthroat Porter

So this marks the first time I'll be reviewing a non-Michigan beer! I'm thrilled to try something from this brewery in particular because it's something I can't get here on a regular basis. This beer, along with a few other things from Odell Brewing Co., were part of a trade I made with a friend and co-worker, Karl Freye.

Today I'm looking into Odell Brewing Co.'s Cutthroat Porter (5% abv). Odell is based out of Fort Collins, Colorado. Trying new Colorado beers is always an exciting thing for me because I am looking into possibly relocating to the area at some point.

While I wait for this porter to come slightly closer to room temperature, I really want to talk about the packaging of not only this beer, but of their brand as a whole because I currently have quite a few things from them sitting in my fridge. As a designer, I'm really drawn to interesting and consistent packaging. Odell's has some really gorgeous label artwork. It continues to use the same text style throughout, and it's very distinct lettering. It looks both organic and a bit vintage. Most of the labels use two-color printing, but a few use three (mostly just to add black or white accents). The color combinations are incredibly diverse so you can tell what you're looking at from far away, but up close they all share a similar illustration style reminiscent of hand worked screen prints. That feel is emphasized by the use of high-quality, lightly textured paper. The bottles also share a striking leaf print on the glass.




Anyway, back to the porter.

Pours totally black and completely opaque with a khaki head and great retention. This beer is THICK.

Aroma is actually a bit subtle. Hints of coffee come through initially, followed by a nice meaty smoke that I look forward to tasting. It has a bit of molasses there as well. But again, very illusive nose.

This is a truly spectacular example of a porter. It tricks you with that soft, fine nose, this is a robustly complex beer. First, sweetness, not the chocolate you expect, but a milky espresso sweetness and some great malty character. A little bit of pumpernickel bread in the middle. There certainly is the hint of smoke that I was so excited about, which then gives way to a bit of a metallic tinge at the end. It is one of the earthiest porters I have ever had, and I really love that. Very well balanced, at once surprising and exactly what I want from a porter. 

Odin is the best beer mascot ever. Seriously, some brewery should hire him, look at that face!


The one note is that I wish it was a little more boozy. I am not one to complain about the abv. of a beer and honestly sometimes get sad that I can only get through two pints of a high abv. beer before I'm completely out of the game, likely thanks to my short stature. But it's the boozy warming taste that I miss and normally enjoy from a porter. But that is my only note, and with the complexity of this beer, I would almost say it doesn't need it (almost).

I would kill for a nitro pour of this one. I think it might bring out more in the aroma, and I can only imagine how gorgeously creamy this beer would be.

All in all, this porter is stunning. A really great example of amazing Colorado craft beer, and I hope to have this again sometime!

This entry was posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply