10. Victory Brewing Company - Golden Monkey

Immediately after returning from work, I feel motivated to write a quick review before the night begins (quick being the operative word).

I pulled out one of the few things I haven't tried before from my fridge, Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing Company (9.5% abv), a spiced Belgium Tripel.

It was ok.



Appearance was very cloudy, almost opaque gold.  Thin head, frothiness clings around the edge of the glass with little lacing.

As far as aroma goes, I expected heavy yeast, cloves and banana. But there were some unexpected... definitely black pepper, peach, and a slight ammonia smell. It's not abrasive, but it's definitely a little off putting.

Taste... boring, but kinda boozy. I assumed the banana ethers and cloves and nutmeg. Definitely warms the throat and tummy.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated with a medium to thin body.

This isn't terribly complex. It's exactly how a tripel should taste if you watered it down. Is that horrible to say? It's not a bad beer, it's just not particularly striking or interesting. And when it says spiced on the label, I expect to notice an obvious amount of spiceage.

I'm going to drink it and I won't be unhappy about it. It's not so bad that I would tell people to steer clear of it. But I definitely wouldn't stick a recommendation on the bottle.

And now, while I drink the rest of this glass, I'm going to upload pictures of actual golden monkeys for your viewing pleasure.





Exact species may vary





This entry was posted on Friday, August 16, 2013 and is filed under ,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “10. Victory Brewing Company - Golden Monkey”

  1. Hey..I've been to the brewery in PA. It's a lot better than Ms. Morgan leads us to believe w/her passive aggressive approach to writing. Maybe it loses something on the trip out of the brewhouse. But I liked it so much, I shipped a growler back to MI.

    ReplyDelete