14. Oskar Blues Brewery - Old Chub

I'm going to try to make this quick, because it's Saturday and there are things to do.

Personally, I am enjoying the music coming from right down the street at our local radio station's block party. I really adore the neighborhood I live in, and being able to see the stage in front of one of my favorite Kalamazoo bars, O'Duffy's, is one of the reasons. There is always something going on, this is just one stand-alone example.

So this will be really brief, but it's too delicious not to review.

I'm currently drinking Old Chub from Oskar Blues Brewery (8% abv) on the porch.



Nice head right of the bat, thick and full of white foamy goodness, great for holding onto the aromatics in this beer.

There's some chocolate malts, a touch of smoke and toffee, and certainly some ethanol in the nose. Very nice.

Really, really enjoy this one. It's a great example of an American Scottish strong ale. Rich and malty, some great roasty qualities. Certainly some molasses in here as well, which makes this a very smooth drink with a thick mouthfeel and a robust finishing flavor. Despite having some alcohol in the nose, it doesn't taste aggressively boozy.

I really enjoy this, it's a wonderful scotch ale. For me, it's up there with Loch Down from Arcadia for my favorite go-to American Scotch ale. I am so glad I have several more cans.

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 7, 2013 and is filed under ,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply